What is DBLIB
DBLIB is a PHP library to create WWW interfaces to databases. It's main
aim is to support creating interfaces for site administrators (so
called "admin systems"), but it can be used as well to create public
(end-user) interfaces. The difference is that admin pages can be
usually plain, so they can be created with the default "look and feel".
User interfaces need a lot of specific coding to include all the
"necessary" bells and whistles.
- Heavy use of OOP allowing the most flexibility
- >15 widget types (text, numbers, datetime, password, reference
to another table, ...)
- Automatic data conversion/escaping (htmlspecialchars, addslashes)
- Automatic input checking in all fields
- Checks numbers, dates, password, ...
- Abstract data layer - (almost) any SQL database and even LDAP and
text/dbm files can be used as a data source. (Currently MySQL and
Postgres are supported.)
- Full localization support (via gettext)
- Easy to use filtering/sorting of record index
- Coding interface for simple table is a matter of approx. 20 lines.
- Full reference (gererated from code comments) and guide available
- Design maturity - this is version 5 created five years after the
first version was coded
What is DBLIB not
- Low level database manager (like PHPMyAdmin)
Michal Kára, lemming <att> ucw <doot> cz